In the lead-up to this year’s USA presidential elections, NBC News has partnered with AltspaceVR to transform the iconic Rockefeller Center Plaza into a national, political epicenter called Virtual Democracy Plaza.
Starting on September 21, 2016 NBC News and AltspaceVR will be providing in-VR programming within the AltspaceVR platform including debate watch parties, live Q&A discussions with political experts, political comedy events and more.
On the night of the event, at 6pm ET, NBC’s TODAY show co-anchor and weatherman, Al Roker, will go inside AltspaceVR to host an official ribbon cutting ceremony to kick off the event.
On NBC News’ investment in Virtual Reality:
On NBC News’ partnership with AltspaceVR:
How to join:
- For the full VR experience, visitors can use Oculus Rift CV1, HTC Vive or Samsung Gear VR.
- Users can also join via a regular desktop or laptop computer, but the experience will be “flat,” not 3D.
- Once Virtual Democracy Plaza is open, users can go to altvr.com/nbcnews and follow instructions on the landing page to sign up or sign in.
Visitors can check the schedule of events and RSVP in advance. Ten minutes before each event starts, users will be able to join the event.
Upcoming Virtual Democracy Plaza events:
- September 21, 6:00 pm ET: Opening Event – ribbon cutting ceremony with Al Roker
- September 26, 8:30 pm ET: Debate Watch Party and audience vote/after party
- September 29, 12:30 pm ET: Ask the political expert – Q&A with Steve Kornacki
- October 4, 8:30 pm ET: V.P. Debate Watch Party
- October 9, 8:30 pm ET: Debate Watch Party
- October 19, 8:30 pm ET: Debate Watch Party
- November 8, 6:00 pm ET: Live Election Night coverage
(More events are currently being planned)
Sean Earley is the podcast host and Executive Editor of AR/VR Magazine, Modern Musician Magazine & co-founder of RobotSpaceship Podcast Network. He is the Director of New Biz Development, PR and Publishing at KEMWEB, a musician, producer & consultant. He loves guitars, VR and coffee.